AYATE’S UNIQUE QUALITIES
- Gently exfoliates- leaves skin feeling smooth, refreshed, and invigorated
- Long lasting, quick drying, mold resistant
- Use in the bath, kitchen, or anywhere am efficient mar-free utility cloth is needed
- After being soaked in water the fibers expand and the weave tightens like magic
- Made from the fibers of the Agave plant
- Hand woven in Mexico
- HAND WASH ONLY
The native term “ayate” describes loose woven products such as nets, bags, and various cloths from the agave plant. As a part of a living tradition that reaches back over 10,000 years, the styles and techniques for these artifacts are as old as Mesoamerican culture itself. Cultivated in Mexico, the agave not only inspired the beginnings of agriculture, it was the wellspring of religion. The plant provided both needle and thread as well as fabric, furniture, baskets, brushes, bridles, paper, soap, shelter, food, candy, drink, and medicine. Little wonder then that the Aztecs venerated the agave and personified it as the goddess Mayahuel.
From the hands of the native people and the heart of a sacred tradition, the quality and value of the ayate has endured and will survive well into the future. Try it and you will see.